Tuesday 20 January 2009

Kid Cudi: 'I've always been ahead of the curve' The Guardian Online



The Guardian Online get a rare interview with Kid Cudi;

"With the remix of Day'N'Nite entering the singles chart at No 2, Kid Cudi is the hottest tip yet for 2009. We talk Kanye, Dizzee and Crookers with the latest rap sensation.

Congratulations on the chart hit. Did you expect the Day 'N' Nite remix to be such a success?
I remember when I recorded it, I told my homeboy 'O Dot, who produced the track: "This is going to be a No 1 track in some country. I don't know what country, but it's going to take off somewhere." He was like: "I don't know about all that. It is a good record – but No 1?" I believed in the track but it was still my dream that it would take off in the way that way it has. It ended up blowing up not because of any label, investment or corporations pushing it, but because it created a buzz on its own. That's the best feeling, that people naturally took to the record, they connected to it. It's overwhelming, but it's also a dream come true.

When you say No 1 is some country, did you not anticipate America taking to it?
Well, yeah because it was different. I really felt nobody in America was going to rock with it and then I started to have doubts about putting it out. I'd rather be known as an MC and I was worried that if I put this out first then they wouldn't see me like that because I was singing. That was me being self-conscious about what people would think. Ultimately, I decided "fuck that" and did what I wanted to.

Like the Kanye mentality?
Yeah, but this was pre-808s & Heartbreak and pre-Graduation, pre-Stronger. I recorded it before anything that was the next level in hip-hop, especially on an underground level. I've always been ahead of the curve when it came to trying new stuff in the underground scene. I've always felt that because I'm from Cleveland, which isn't recognised as a place for hip-hop, I needed to step it up if I wanted to make myself known. I worked things out and I've found my vibe – although I'm reinventing myself with every new song.

Kanye has said in interviews that you inspire him. That must be flattering?
Yeah, yeah ... it's dope because Kanye has really been helping out. It's overwhelming how supportive he's been. People always have negative things to say about him. And now when I hear those negative things, I take that shit personally. I'm like, "Nah, you're wrong, this dude is seriously cool".

Read the full interview with Kid Cudi here