Thursday 16 September 2010

Example Interviewed By M Is For Music

"Elliot Gleave, better know as Example has had a phenomenal year. Starting out in the music industry nearly 7 years ago the UK MC/singer has finally had his break with his breakthrough album “Won’t Go Quietly” gaining him critical acclaim and chart success alike, reaching #4 in the UK Charts as well as 4 massive singles from the album all making the UK Top 40. We caught up with Example to talk about his year, what it was like playing the festival circuit and who he likes/dislikes in music at the minute. Enjoy!

Hi Example, thanks for taking the time to speak to MisforMusic.com, how are you?

I’m the busiest I’ve ever been in my life but loving it. If I told you my diary recently you’d get bored and fall asleep

2010 has really been your year with “Won’t Go Quietly”. Are you surprised at the success you’ve achieved or did you think it was only a matter of time considering there was already hype surrounding you with the likes of Zane Lowe and Pete Tongue playing your records?

I’m not surprised. I’ve been working hard at this game for 6 years and I’ve come to realise when you have written a great song you can see it’s potential. Saying that though I don’t think you can take anything for granted. I knew “Kickstarts” was a potentially massive song but you still need support from radio to ensure it does all the right damage.

You grew up listening to Hip-Hop and ultimately that influenced your musical direction. Who in particular had a real impact on you?

My favourite rapper when I was young was Snoop. I was about 11 or 12 when I was into him. Then I discovered A Tribe Called Quest and Slick Rick. Jay-Z and Kanye are prob my faves in recent years. They’ve been consistent.

In 2006 after you remixed Lily Allen’s Smile and renamed the song “Vile.” What made you choose to remix the track and what was Lily’s response?

I must’ve been asked this about 1,001 times. I bootlegged it cause I was unknown at the time and it got me lots of attention. Lily liked it."

This is an extract - Read the FULL interview on M Is For Music here

Get your copy of Last Ones Standing from Itunes by clicking here, or better still, get Example's brand new album by clicking here.