Monday 22 March 2010

Alt Sounds Review of The Dirty Disco's "Sista!"

"After spending 5 minutes trying to get this CD to play ( I don’t know why it wouldn’t work ) ‘Sista!’ from The Dirty Disco finally arrived. I must admit, I was expecting 100% dance crap or something similar, but I was pleased that it had a bit of power behind it. Now, The Dirty Disco is a name which has been flying around my local area and hometown of The Dirty Disco (Guildford, Surrey).

Nothing good has come out of Guildford, except maybe Camel in the early days, but otherwise it’s got nothing going musically for it. Anyway, this gave me the chance to plump for The Dirty Disco self released ‘Sista!’ which has already received some national acclaim.

The original edit (track one) is a great little number, combining a decent vocal attempt with instrumentals which pick-up to give a raw and ‘dirty’ sound for the choral chants. Mixed with a trendy display of dance techniques, this song has a lot going for it. Yes, on face value its accessibility is limited if you aren’t open minded to a bit of pop-vocal and dance music combination, but we can all take the time out to give 'Sista!' a spin. I was surprised that I was able to find any enjoyment in it at first, but I'm glad I stuck with it."

Read the full review on Alt Sounds here

The Dirty Disco headline Alan McGee's Death Disco on 31st March