Friday 16 October 2009

Basshunter Same Six Questions featured on CMU Daily

Basshunter, aka Jonas Altberg, is - whether you like it or not - currently one of the biggest selling dance producers in the UK. With a little help from music software Fruity Loops, he began making music in 1999, self-releasing two albums before signing his first record deal in 2006 with Warner Music, releasing his first single, 'Boten Anna', the same year. Now signed to Ministry Of Sound's Hard2Beat label, he has just released new single, 'Every Morning', as well as his fifth studio album, 'Bass Generation', and began a UK tour this week. We spoke to Basshunter to ask our Same Six Questions.

Q1 How did you start out making music?
I was at a LAN party when I was seventeen, and I downloaded a folder from my friend's computer containing the music program Fruity Loops 3. I installed it and realised very quickly that this [making music] was something that I wanted to do for the rest of my life.

Q2 What inspired your latest single?
I had a two month break earlier this year in which to produce the new album and rest my legs for a while, after three years on tour. So, I had plenty of time to meet my friends and people in general, and during this period I met a really sweet girl. The feelings and emotions grew strong very fast and that inspired me to write 'Every Morning'. Because every morning she got up from bed before me and made me a cup of coffee, and she was always happy with a big smile on her face... tada: "Every Morning she makes me a cup of coffee with a smile on her face. I'm a man in love". But it didn't work out though, so as soon as I was done with the album I was back on tour.

Q3 What process do you go through in creating a track?
I usually begin with the riff and the chorus, because if I can't get that to work it's just a waste of time producing the rest of it. Regarding inspiration, hmm, well if I need inspiration I usually go to a busy bar or pub, have a beer and just watch people enjoying themselves, listening to their conversations etc.

Q4 Which artists influence your work?
Why would you think that any other artists influence my way of producing or writing? I'm better than that.

Q5 What would you say to someone experiencing your music for the first time?
Hold on to your hat mate, because we are going on a wild ride packed full with wicked bass lines, awesome riffs and a powerful chorus!

Q6 What are your ambitions for your latest single, and for the future?
My ambitions? Well, I always do the best I can, I can't do any more than that. But the most important thing for me are my fans, as long as they like my new stuff I'm happy. Without them, I would be just like a fart in the wind. That kinda speaks for itself, doesn't it?

To subscribe to CMU Daily click here