Monday 30 November 2009

BBC Chartblog Feature Basshunter "I Promised Myself"

"Poor poor Jonas. He's only just found out his new girlfriend has been taken to hospital after what must have been some type of horrific accident [in his new music vid - see his old music vid for details] . He can't believe it. After all his fooling around with countless women, he thought he'd turned a corner, he thought he'd finally found the woman he wants to spend the rest of life with, but now his new love may not be around to experience it with him... He promised himself, he promised he'd wait for her. As he rushes to the hospital a solitary tear begins to slowly run down his cheek... and then... THE BASS KICKS IN! DUM DUM DUM, Du Du, DUM DUM DUM.

Sensitive Jonas transforms into the Basshunter with a swift drop of his trademark dance beat, and you know what? I love him for it!

(Here's the video. Hurry Jonas, Hurry!)


Yes, so everything about this song shouldn't work, and most would argue it doesn't. The song has no sign of a verse, and it sounds like everything else he's done, and I know a song with this sentiment really shouldn't have a sniff of a dance backing, but you can't take the bass away from the Basshunter can you? Otherwise he'd just be Hunter, which is okay for a Gladiator but not a pop star.

What you've got to admire about this track is Jonas really does try to sing, and he kind of pulls it off. Unlike other Basshunter tunes, this doesn't annoy me and will make a half decent Christmas track. I can imagine myself dancing along to it on Christmas Eve, slightly intoxicated, at some random club and feeling quite fulfilled.

I realise as I'm writing this, I'm trying to make the glass half full by eeking out sayings like 'half-decent' and 'it doesn't annoy me'*, but for a Basshunter song I'd call that a success. This isn't exactly the type of song where you analyse its musicality, you either like it or you don't, and I like it.

*It would be awesome if he quoted this on his album cover."

See the feature on the BBC Chart Blog by clicking here