Friday 22 January 2010

Example interviewed by Digital Spy

"London rapper Elliot Gleave - the stage name's based on his initials, geddit? - has packed a fair bit into his 27 years. He's tried his hand at everything from scaffolding to stand-up, landscape gardening to garage MCing, but he looks to have found his true calling making catchy club bangers. As he tears up the charts with latest single 'Won't Go Quietly', we took the opportunity to get to know him a little better.

What's 'Won't Go Quietly' about?
"It's about an ex-girlfriend and how paranoid and delusional she was. That said, she had a femme fatale sort of thing about her which made me stay with her. She went in the end though, but she didn't go quietly and I've still got the scars to show for it."

Does she know that the song's about her?
"Probably not because I haven't spoken to her in over two years. But if she hears the 'less scratch marks on my back' line, she'll probably think, 'Yep, that was me!' I bet she still has bits of skin beneath her fingernails."

Are you expecting it to be your biggest hit to date?
"Well, the midweeks are looking nice so far, but anywhere in the top ten would be good because it's an improvement on the last one. I think it sounds like a top five, but I might not be well known enough yet."

How are you intending to celebrate?
"I'm not going to celebrate. I'm going to continue with the scrooge spirit instead! Even if I got a No.1 single, I'd probably just go to Pizza Express. There's no point celebrating until you've got a No.1 album."

Continue reading the interview on Digital Spy here