Thursday 18 September 2008

Sonny J on BBC Chart Blog

"Sonny J released this song about a year ago, but this September 8th release is a remix. "A remix!?" I hear you cry. A remix indeed. 'Can't Stop Moving (Mirwais Remix)' is the official release title of this track so I jumped full-bodied into listening to both versions of the song to hear the changes.

I'm not much of a DJ, but I'm pretty sure adding a few vocal effects to a track doesn't really make a remix, as much as adding trumpets to one doesn't make it your own song either (sorry, Mr Ronson).

Ok, so I do like this song, it has lots of happy juice attached and the video has a higher than average count of teenagers in yellow t-shirts. When do you ever see that many people wearing yellow t-shirts? Really...

My main problem is the remix part. I'm sure a fair amount of the people that read this will disagree and list a few more changes to the song, the new vocal part maybe but for me, there isn't enough changes to justify it being a remix. I guess there is a lot of debate for what is a remix, or a sampled track but I feel this is more of a tweaked release.

I much preferred that Enfant Terrible track he did, but then the clowns just scared me."

Click here to see the full feature